Ohio law requires that every business offering tattoo and/or body piercing services be approved prior to operating. As part of the approval process, plans and specifications for the place of business must be submitted to and approved by, the local licensor of tattoo and body piercing establishments. These plans and specifications must clearly show that sections 3730.01 to 3730.11 of the Ohio Revised Code and 3701-9-01 to 3701-9-09 of the Ohio Administrative Code can be met, and shall include the following:
- A completed Application for Approval Review and Compliance Questionnaire.
- Scale drawings – the smallest scale to be used is one-quarter inch equals one foot (¼” = 1’) – showing the general layout of fixtures and equipment, entrances and exits, number and location and types of plumbing fixtures and all water supply facilities.
- A numbered equipment list indicating the manufacturer’s name and model number for all equipment to be used.
- A lighting plan indicating type, and location, of lighting fixtures.
- A copy of the written care instructions you will provide to patrons following a tattooing or body piercing procedure.
- A copy of training records and/or current certifications for all artists in first aid, CPR, bloodborne pathogens, and safety and sanitation requirements for prevention of infectious disease.
- Submit proof of proper training in tattooing and body piercing. Proof shall consist of one or more of the following.
- Records of completion of courses or seminars in tattooing or body piercing offered by authorities recognized by the Clermont County Board of Health as qualified to provide such instruction.
- Written statements of attestation by individuals offering tattoo or body piercing apprenticeships that the person has received sufficient training of adequate duration to competently perform tattoo and body piercing services.
- Copies of tattoo & body piercing establishment inspection records that demonstrate compliance with applicable laws and rules.
- Remit payment of fee for plan review
If you have any questions about the above-stated requirements, or, if you need to schedule a pre-approval inspection, please contact us.
An approval will not be issued until all of the above-stated approval requirements are completed and a pre-approval inspection shows that you are in compliance with applicable rules.
Before requesting the pre-approval inspection, make certain that you are able to show written documentation that all applicable final approval inspections (including, but not limited to, building, plumbing, fire, electrical, water, wastewater, and zoning) are completed.