Vending Machine License FAQ’s

Do health departments license vending machines?

Yes, a vending machine food license is required if you sell food that requires temperature control (frozen, refrigerated, or hot food). A license is also required if the food is dispensed in an open container or cup, such as coffee, soda, soup, or hot chocolate.

Machines selling prepackaged, non-perishable food (chips, candy bars, packaged gum, etc.), or bottled/canned non-perishable drinks, such as bottled or canned soda, gum ball machines are exempt from a vending machine food license.

I plan to have multiple vending machines in the same building, do I have to get multiple vending license?

Each vending location (an area or the room where one or more vending machines are installed and operated), must obtain one license regardless of the number of machines present. Each separate location or room must have its own vending machine food license. Machines separated by more than 150 feet from each other are considered a separate licensable vending location.

Are there any specific requirements for vending machines?

All equipment must be commercial grade and approved by a recognized testing agency. The coolers and freezers must have automatic shutoff health switches to prevent the sale of food in the event of a temperature control issue, power failure or malfunction. The operator of the vending machine must regularly test the shutoff health switch.

Can coffee be sold in the vending machines?

Yes. A coffee vending machine that is commercial grade and approved by a recognized testing agency can be licensed.

What is the licensing process? What documents do I have to provide?

Submit the Vending Machine Location Plan Review Application. A CCPH Sanitarian will review the information and contact you for licensing and inspection.

Do vending machines inside of a micro market need to be licensed?

No. Vending machines do not need to be licensed if they are under the control of the operator of the micro market.