Make physical activity a regular part of the day. Choose activities that you enjoy and can do regularly. Fitting activity into a daily routine can be easy- such as taking a brisk 10-minute walk to and from the parking lot or bus stop or join an exercise class. Keep it interesting by trying something different on alternate days. Every little bit adds up and doing something is better than doing nothing. Make sure to do at least 10 minutes of activity at a time, shorter bursts of activity will not have the same health benefits. For example, walking the dog for 10 minutes before and after work or adding a 10-minute walk at lunchtime can add to your weekly goal. Mix it up. Swim, take a yoga class, garden or lift weights. To be ready anytime, keep some comfortable clothes and a pair of walking or running shoes in the car and at the office.
NOTE: Check with your doctor before beginning a new exercise routine if you have any health concerns.
More ways to increase physical activity.
- Join a walking group in the neighborhood or at the local shopping mall. Recruit a partner for support and encouragement.
- Push the baby in a stroller.
- Get the whole family involved-enjoy an afternoon bike ride with your kids.
- Walk up and down the soccer or softball field sidelines while watching the kids play.
- Walk the dog-don’t just watch the dog.
- Clean the house or wash the car.
- Walk, skate or cycle more and drive less.
- Plant and care for a vegetable or flower garden.
- Play with the kids-tumble in the leaves, build a snowman, splash in a puddle, or dance to your favorite music.
- Park farther away and walk the extra distance.
- Replace a coffee break with a brisk 10-minute walk.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Join the office softball team or walking group.
- Walk, jog, skate, or cycle.
- Swim or do water aerobics.
- Take a class in martial arts, dance or yoga.
- Golf using a pull cart or carry your clubs.
- Canoe, row, or kayak.
- Ski cross-country or downhill.
- Play basketball, softball, or soccer.
- Hand cycle or play wheelchair sports.
- Take a nature walk.
- Most important-have fun!